Wednesday, April 30, 2014


Balcony Life



Every time  I pass up a small $3 bundle of "fresh herbs" from the grocery store I do a little karate-like, happy dance in my head because I know I can just pick fresh herbs from my balcony garden. This doesn't happen all the time because honestly I'm far from having a green thumb and some plants, sadly, have not stayed with me. I've been experimenting with my outdoor container garden for about 2 years now. There have been few successes and many fails but that hasn't stopped me from trying and I've only grown to love it regardless.







I think what got me past the point of just being interested in starting a container garden to actually doing it was joining a csa. I bet this is a similar path for others who have joined a csa- you've become more involved and aware of where your food is coming from so I think the desire to try growing produce yourself comes around naturally.  


The great thing is you can grow just about anything in a container. I've grown beans, tomatoes, beets, swiss chard, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, watermelon, peppers, and herbs. 

The first thing I did to get my garden started was research. I looked into what plants do well in containers, when to plant, the type of pots each plant needs, when to thin them, type of soil, how often to water, etc.

And even then, I still make mistakes but I'm taking notes and I can tell I've made improvements from last years try. Also, I've had a talk with Billy about using spray paint near my plants...








 
I can offer one tip! If you're having problems with birds getting to your tomatoes before you, go to your local dollar store and purchase some scarecrow birds. They work!

What? Your local dollar store doesn't carry fake birds in a bin for no good reason? Then that's not a real dollar store, honey.


Sure, I often daydream of relaxing in my big backyard with a raised garden bed in one corner and tons of produce coming out of the ground but for now I'm so very happy with my tiny balcony space. 

And if you thought you couldn't attempt to grow veggies because you are also a renter with a small patio/balcony, think again! There are so many great ideas out there to get the best use of your space without making it look like a cluttered mess of pots. Here are some great sources that help with just that issue...

66 Square Feet- beautiful blog about gardening in tiny spaces & cooking!

(Too many cucumbers for one pot! Time to transplant!)




Fingers crossed, I want to continue posting progress shots of my balcony garden. It's amazing how a string of lights, a hammock, and tons of beautiful green life can change the outcome of my day.

1 comment:

  1. I love the shot withe the bird! Great timing! Thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete