Sunday, March 31, 2013

Roasted Beets with a creamy avocado and cilantro yogurt dressing


Happy Easter! 
This will be a quick post since I'm in Houston with my family. I just wanted to share this simple way to prepare and enjoy beets.



I received these beautiful beets and perfectly ripped avocado in my CSA box a few days ago.  


After a long and tiring week, the last thing I wanted to do was try a new recipe or make a mess in the kitchen for me to pick up after. So the obvious thing to do was roast. It doesn't require a recipe, no pan necessary, no messy kitchen. Exactly what I needed. 

To make it even easier, roast the beets whole before removing the skin. I personally prefer that over peeling them, cutting and then roasting.

And since roasting beets and placing them on top of fresh greens for a salad is nothing new and exciting, I decided to try a new dressing to make it feel a little different than beet salads I've had before. I went straight for the avocado, grabbed the yogurt from the fridge, a good handful of cilantro, some fresh lime juice and gave it a good mix. 



The end result was a light, healthy, filling dinner.


Roasted Beets with a creamy avocado & cilantro yogurt dressing

ingredients:
4-5 beets
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt

1 medium avocado
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 425. Pack the beets in foil and drizzle them with olive oil. Make sure the beets get an even coating of the oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap them tightly and place on a baking sheet. Roast the beets for about 40 minutes or until a knife can easily pierce through. While the beets are still hot, use gloves and remove the skin from the beets. Quarter and serve alone or over a bed of beet greens.

Creamy avocado cilantro dressing 
In a blender, combine avocado, yogurt, cilantro, salt,  & fresh lime juice until smooth. Drizzle over beets. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment